Friday, April 19, 2013

Watch what you say…


 I think every parent knows this scenario…

You are talking to your children, maybe having a lecture even. And all of the sudden it is as if your own parents are in the room. The words you heard as a kid, that you swore you’d never say, just came out of your mouth. This happens to me all the time. Chris swears I am an 80 year old in a 39 year old body. Some things that often fly out of my mouth include –

Holy Moses
Man Alive
Hang you by your toes
In my mother’s handbook
Whoopsie daisy
Bless her heart
Oh, honey

Not sure how this happened, but I sound like my mom.  Heck, sometimes I sound like my grandmother or great aunt. And the reverse happens too. As my own children began talking, I’d hear myself in their words. The word “actually” pops up in their vocabulary all too often.

This week I realized the same thing happens to me at school. I’m on the second floor of a building that was built in 1894. I used to be on the first floor. I’m all too aware of the fact that those on the first floor have to listen to the noise coming through the ceiling all the time. I often caution my students to be careful, not to stomp or drop things, the teacher downstairs is teaching.

This week I witnessed the following. A boy was goofing off during study hall and dropped something on the floor. Before I could open my mouth, I overheard this exchange.

Josh – Be careful! Do you want to go downstairs and apologize to Mrs. Meyer?

Me – laughing…Do I say that a lot or something?

Entire study hall group looks at me… Um, yes!

Mental note, watch what I say. J