Monday, June 19, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/19 Summer Reading Plans

Lordy, I'm falling off the blogging wagon. It's 6/19 and this is my third blog post of the month. Oops! I haven't been doing much writing in general. I've done a lot of reading. A lot of dog-walking. Some laps have been swum. Lunches with friends. Shopping trip with my mom. Nights out with folks I haven't seen in awhile. Summer has been good. 

This week is a bit crazy, my craziest of the summer. I head up to the Scholastic Reading Summit tomorrow, the Summit is Wednesday. Then it is time to head home for a day, then a weekend trip with family. Liam has a basketball tournament today through Wednesday as well. And then? July stretches out with nada on the schedule. I am so excited about that, I can't even describe it.

At any rate, summer reading means summer #bookaday. My goal is the equivalent of one book a day for the summer, which is 81 books. Today's the 19th (and yes, I had to look that up. Love summer and loosing track of the days) which means I should be around 26 books. I'm ahead of the game right now at 41. Here's what I've read:





I've got two main goals with summer reading: read the books I haven't gotten to that are sitting on my shelves AND fill in some of my reading gaps. One of those, I found while teaching middle school this year, is romance books. Man alive, I had a large group looking for romance books. My response of, "Do you count Divergent? I mean Four..." was met with skeptical looks. I should understand, that was all I wanted to read from around 7th-11th grade, but I haven't read much since. So, I'm reading some "kissy books" as my friends Tony and Colby like to call them. Of late, I've found several great ones. Some might be too mature for my readers, or for the start of the year 7th graders, but many of them are fabulous. 

How's your summer reading going? Hope you've found some great books! And if you're coming to the Summit in Chicago, see you soon!