Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Making Summer Goals

Summer so far...
The school year ended last Wednesday. This means I've been on summer break for six days. It has begun like all summer breaks. I've slept, a lot. I can't even stay awake past 9:30 pm. Last night I was reading a book and the next thing I knew I heard it hit the ground. No idea when I fell asleep. The end of the school year seems to be akin to having a newborn. I get through it, but barely. While I'm living it I often think, "I've got this. No problem." It's only when I have some distance do I realize how completely exhausting it was. 

This year ended with more to do than usual. I packed my room and am still moving it. I've attempted to help the teacher taking my spot get a great understanding of what she's going to be doing. I've tried to figure out my new room and what I need to be prepared in a little less than 90 days. I also finished two college courses and am currently preparing to begin two more. Just typing it makes me realize why I'm so tired.

But summer is here. Summer, and a remodeled kitchen, means I can actually cook for my family - huge meals filled with yummy desserts and healthy food. I can tackle items on my "to do" list like painting bookshelves for my classroom or going through my closet. I can read with abandon, find time to write, and begin a new running program. Summer gives me time to focus on it all and make new goals. It is something I've been longing for. 

While goals are something many of us do in January each year, I like short term goals. I have a better chance of achieving them. So I am sharing my summer goals here in the hope that it will keep my accountable. I also believe a lot in speaking my goals out loud. For example, six years ago I promised my boys I wouldn't leave fifth grade until Liam got through it. (They both were irritated I was moving up a grade.) I said that I'd begin to look for a job at the middle school after that. Low and behold, Liam is now through fifth and I'm moving to the middle school. With that in mind, let's see where these goals take me for the next few months. 

Summer Goals 2016:

  • Run 100 miles. I'm cheating a bit, my boys are doing this for Cross Country, so I thought I'd join them. So far I have four miles done. I walk a mile daily, but then I drop Rosie back at the house and head out on a run. I am out of shape and this needs to change.
  • Read a book a day. By my calculation this would equal 81 books. 
  • Journal 2-3 times a week. I've completely stopped journaling and want to add it back in. 
  • Blog at least twice a week.
I have lots of items on my "to do" list, but these are my goals, not necessarily things to check-off. 

How about you? What are your goals for summer? Do you have a busy one stretching ahead, or is it relaxing? Wishing you well, whatever your summer entails.