Monday, October 26, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I'm thrilled to link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each Monday and share our reading lives. Check out their sites for more information. 

Each week when I look back over the Goodreads list for the past seven days I am in awe of all of the great books I read. Because I am connected through Twitter, Voxer, and more to so many wonderful readers, it is rare that I read a book that doesn't work for me. This year I seem to have an overabundance of great books. There are so many books I still want to read, yet so little time. As a matter of fact, when I looked at my Goodreads account this morning I had read 321 books so far this year, which is the same amount I read by December 31st for the past two years. Fascinating. I have some friends who will far out read me this year, some that will read less. As I tell my students, that doesn't matter. What does matter is the stories I've read and experienced. This week didn't disappoint, there are some great books below:

The Odds of Getting Even is another story with Mo and Dale. This series began with Three Times Lucky and then moved on to Ghosts of Tupelo Landing. My students love it, and I loved this book.

Nimona is a graphic novel from one of the same authors of Lumberjanes. This one is on the National Book Award shortlist. While it is too old for my classroom, I love the book. One of my favorite graphic novels of the year for sure.

The two picture books I read this week were both brilliant. Thank You and Goodnight has several nods to classic bedtime stories. My students loved picking them out. Finding Winnie has joined Fine Dessert in my favorite picture books of the year camp. I absolutely loved this one.

The Hired Girl I had put off reading forever. I'm not sure why, but I didn't think I would love it. I fortunately have a friend who apparently knows me better than I know myself. She read it recently and told me to get moving. This book brought me back to classics my mom had me read growing up - Anne of Green Gables, Daddy Long Legs, and more. I LOVED it! 

Finally, Kate Messner has a new one coming out next year called The Seventh Wish. Brilliant. One of my new favorites from Kate. This deals with friendship, family dynamics, and addiction in a way I haven't seen done before. I loved it. I don't have enough words to express how much I loved it. I will write a review post closer to the publishing date, but please put this one on the list to purchase this spring. 

This week I'm making a goal of reading three professional books. I have several I want to buy at NCTE, but I'm requiring myself to read the huge stack I currently own first. Beginning with Lester Laminack's new book seems like a great way to start. I cannot wait.