Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Slice of Life - NCTE14 Reflection

NCTE. Every year that I come home from it, I kick myself for all of the years I didn't attend. So many amazing sessions, so many wonderful friends, and such a fabulous focus on literacy. It is a conference I look forward to all year long. This year was no exception.

I shared the Animoto video I created last year with my students before I left. I felt that it was important to show them what I was doing and why I would be leaving them for three days. They loved the video and asked me to get photos with as many authors as possible. One awesome kid said, "If you hug them, it will be like we did too." Love these kids of mine.

So, I went. I learned, marinating in the amazing ideas and ideals. To be surrounded with people - so many people - that have such passion for their jobs is rejuvenating. Even while sick, and I'm always sick for NCTE, I was filled with energy.

I'm grateful to have had this experience once again. I'm grateful to so many friends for making my trip more memorable than ever. And I'm grateful for cough syrup with codeine, which made last night an amazing night of sleep for the first time in a long time. YAY!

I shared this video with my students yesterday. My slice of NCTE.




Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers.