Friday, May 16, 2014

Celebrate This Week




I’m joining up with Ruth Ayres for her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all of the posts linked up at her blog HERE. Thanks for starting this, Ruth!


My eyes have turned towards this week for some time. It was one of those crazy, jam packed weeks where I wondered how we could possibly fit it all in! Even so, there were reasons to celebrate all over the place:

I received the email from NCTE that our Nerdy Presentation was accepted. I can’t wait to present with friends, talk about reading, and have a great time. So much fun!

My students and I headed to a local park – Allerton – for a wonderful field trip filled with aerobics, games, hiking, and boating. I look forward to this one each year. Watching Luke experience it made the day even better.

Open House was on Thursday night and I love seeing the families, expressing delight in the growth of their children, and visiting with former students. While it is a lot of work, it is one of my favorite nights of the year. The video below contains just a fraction of my photos from this school year. I had it playing during Open House.


Finally, we wrapped up our unit on digital citizenship on Friday in reading. We focused on being kind in online spaces, watching what items we share, and the amount of time we devote to tech. I love technology and freely admit there are times when my balance is out of whack. I’ve been working lately to cut back some, and it has helped. This video was a big reason why I began trying to balance my time better. I shared it with each class on Friday and, judging by their reflections on our assessment, it made quite an impact. If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth watching.

Have a great week!