Friday, October 19, 2012

A Poem for the National Day on Writing


Today is the National Day on Writing and you can read more about it HERE. Thinking about “What I write” – which is this year’s theme – inspired a poem looking at what, and why, I write.

Last year I attended a conference,
Over and over the same question was repeated –
What are you writing?

They must have the wrong person.
I am not a writer.
What would I say?

But the seed was there.
Gnawing away at my inside.
Waiting to be acknowledged.

I came home, inspired.
By friends, teachers, authors.
Could I do it?

I stepped out.
Dipped a toe in.
Created a blog.

You all were there.
Left comments, tweets, messages.
Encouraged.

I kept writing.
Here and in journals.
Ideas filling up my head.

What I write changed
From emails, text, FB messages.
Grocery lists, plans, Goodreads posts.
To blogs, articles, the first pages of a book.

I write to be heard.
I write to inspire.
I write because the words burst forth,
Demanding to come out.
They will not be silent any more.


 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann