Sunday, February 7, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to celebrate our weekly reading.

I've had a random reading life of late. I feel at once that I am always reading and I am never finishing any books. I think it is because I'm reading so much for college courses, but they are all short stories and articles, not complete books. I've squeezed in a few books here and there over the past two weeks, as you can see below. Many were fabulous. Hopefully the next few weeks will be filled with even more reading. We'll see.



Out of this list, let me quickly touch on three of these books:

Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo is one to put on your radar immediately. I hope to review it in depth later, but for now let me just say that you should go ahead and pre-order it. I read it a bit ago. Every line is quotable. I'm currently reading it to my homeroom and cannot wait to see what they think. Brilliance.

Audacity Jones by Kirby Larson. Kirby is a genius. I can always count on her for a great historical fiction book. She makes me fall in love with her characters and quickly turn pages to see what will happen next. Here Audacity (an orphan living at a home for wayward girls) is off on an unplanned adventure. She ends up in Washington D.C. involved with a crazy scheme involving the President. Loved this book and I'm hoping it is the first in a series.

Pink is for Blowfish by Jess Keating. AWESOME. What a great new informational text. My students love the layout, the animals Keating describes, really, they love everything about this book. I love Keating's YouTube channel where she teaches more info about animals. So cool. (Her channel is called Animals for Smart People if you want to check it out.) 

This week I need to read two more books for a state award and then I'm back to my own reading and I can't wait! No idea what my first choice will be. 

Have a great week!