Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bedtime with Liam


I remember reading a quote once that writers live their lives with their eyes wide open. Before I was a teacher that writes, I don’t think I truly understood that idea. But tonight, as I lay with Liam just as I do each and every night, this popped in my mind. I immediately scribbled it down. Must share with my students in the morning.

Do you write? Do you share your writing with your students? I know it can be scary but it is the single best thing I've done for my writing workshop.

Bedtime with Liam

Each night we lay down to the same routine:
Teeth brushed.
PJs on.
Books read.
Music.
Prayers.

When you were small people told me I’d made a mistake.
We should put you in your crib.
Let you cry.
How would you learn?

But others whispered secrets to me.
How fast you’d grow.
How they’d give anything for these moments back.
Reminders to listen to you.

And it doesn’t work for everyone,
But it did for us.
The family bed.
Slowly, when you were ready,
The move to your own.

Each night Daddy can find me here.
Though you don’t need me anymore,
Neither one of us wants to stop.
Lying on my slide.
Reading, typing, while you drift off.

Those whispers were right.
I wouldn’t change this for the world.
How you curl your body up next to mine.
The rhythmic tap, tap, tap of your hand on my side.
Your contented sigh, Mama, as you drift off.

I’m exactly where I should be.