Thursday, May 25, 2017

Need Advice - One Book, One School


Reaching out to friends that have more experience than me. Yesterday was our last day of school for the year. Of course, that means I started thinking about next year. I went home yesterday and saw the trailer for Wonder.



Oh. My. Gosh.

I still remember reading this book. The class that just became Juniors yesterday in our district were in my fifth grade class. I did a Donor's Choose project at the end of the school year so that we could read it together and they could have their own copies. I knew then that this book was special and could inspire children everywhere. I was right.

Now, the movie is coming out in the fall. From what I've seen, I think it looks amazing. So.... I began dreaming. 

I've never participated in a one book, one school program, but if there was a book made for that, it would be Wonder. The potential I can see for this book being read by almost 400 students and teachers in our middle school this fall, for kicking off the year with the message of #choosekind, well, I think it would be amazing. 

Where you come in is that I have no idea how people do this. If you have any experience, please either weigh in below or contact me. What I'm wondering is: 

How do you get 400 copies of a book? 
Did you have kids purchase them?
Did the school?
Did you do a fundraiser? Donors Choose or what?
What else did you do beyond reading the book together. 

My mind is whirling, but I'm grateful to mull this over as I relax at home this summer. Yay for some time off and thanks for any advice.