Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions for 2013

My necklace with my one little word for 2012 - BE


2013. I used to have resolutions every year – lose weight, work out every day, eat healthy, etc. Often those resolutions didn’t last even until my birthday (end of February). So last year I went with a reading resolution – read 300 books – and one little word as a resolution. Both resolutions were actually met.

My reading resolution was easier than I thought. When I made it, I was nervous. I had read 263 the year before and felt like I was reading an awful lot. This year as I finished my last book yesterday I looked at the number, 508. That’s awesome, but I realized something. That’s a really high number, for me. I have friends who read three times that this year. I have friends who read much less. All of them read a lot. We all chose to challenge ourselves in our own ways – and as adults we are allowed to do this. I like bringing that idea into the classroom as well. Let my students create their own challenges; this ensures they are more meaningful and more tailored to each person instead of a blanket goal for all.

As for my one little word, this is what I wrote last New Year’s Day about it:

Be
  • Be the best wife, mom, teacher, and friend I can
  • Be good to myself
  • Be a role model for others
  • Be a writer
  • Be a thinker
  • Be a reader
  • Be true to myself


I think I did pretty well on this goal with the exception to the second bullet – Be good to myself. I absolutely made more time for myself this year – and I’m good about doing things I want to do and not putting myself last, but I am my own worst critic. My inner voice is not kind to me and I struggle a lot with that.

SO…. Goals for this year? My reading goal will be 600 books, but with a caveat. I realized I haven’t read some of the “classics” or, if I have read them I don’t think I understood them. So some of those 600 will be devoted to discovering those. First up, Pride and Prejudice. I still will try and make my way through the Newbery books as well.

My one little word is:

Be
My focus is:
  • Be the best wife, mom, teacher, and friend I can
  • Be good to myself
  • Be a role model for others
  • Be a writer
  • Be a thinker
  • Be a reader
  • Be true to myself
  •  Be serene (Serenity prayer becoming a mantra) J


I wish you all the best year ever. I look forward to all of the blessings of a new year and am grateful for all I was given in 2012. It was amazing.